Project Card Race

PCR screenshot

Project Card Race is another game prototype I developped while at Gameduell. It is still copyright Gameduell, and is an unreleased project.

This one was done using unity, and code in c#.

The goal of the project was to create an adaptation of RoboRally, but for two players, on phones. In order to achieve the same fun, I still had to heavily modify the rules. If players are still granted 5 cards, they can play from 0 to 4 cards on every turn. Players also have an extra action with a one turn cooldown, in this case a shot of glue, shot in the direction they are facing.

The goal of the game is still to pass through the three checkpoints in the right order, and be the first to reach the third checkpoint. To achieve that, each player would have a set of cards with a certain amount of moves, and up to them to achieve the best results.

I started by developping a paper prototype of this project that I tested with different people until I reached a point where the game was considered solid enough at its core. I then moved on to have a digital prototype. I decided to use Unity for its simplicity of use, and the possibility to deploy easily on all sorts of devices.

One of the concerns I had to address was that players would take too much time to make their decision. However, by setting the interface as shown on the screenshot, I could quickly run a series of tests on different players and see how long they needed to make their decision. The sweetspot when not confronted to an opponent, was between 7 and 9 seconds. The theory was that by leaving just enough time for median players to make their choices, we would avoid waiting, as players would concentrate on planning their moves first, then have barely more than 2 seconds of waiting.

A prototype of the digital version is available on my github. This prototype was created to showcase a first version of a basic AI for the game. Using an AI for first user tests would have permited us to put the players in more real conditions, without worrying about how to find an opponent for them.

Even though the AI is still a bit buggy, I think it works quite well. It was done by adapting Goal Oriented Action Planning to our needs. The AI tries to determine which is the best action to take in order to reach the first checkpoint. It weights the cards that it is given in that fashion and uses the one available with the highest score.

Parallel Run

runner_screenshot

Parallel Run is a prototype I developed while at GameDuell. The game is still copyrighted to GameDuell and unreleased. It was done in cooperation with a studio called Fishing Cactus.

The idea was one of a constant runner, with the focus put on coin collection and cooperation rather than avoiding obstacles as in classic runners. Players would be matched in pairs on tracks and would get further turns around the tracks if they managed to collect enough coins.

The orginality was to have both players cooperate. The cooperation was done through the use of the different bonuses: higher coin values, magnets, speed slowdowns, etc. Bonuses triggered by either player where applied to both. Players would then have to combine those bonuses in the most efficient way in order to maximise their score.

The game still belongs to Gameduell, but I am allowed to present it on request.

Pong Break

pong break screenshot

Pong Break is a little flash game that I did… some time ago.

At he time I was using an engine called Stencyl, that permits to make visual scipting. The game itself is a strange mix in between Pong and Breakout, hence the title.

In it players control both pads, even though their directions are always opposed. The layouts of the tiles are generated from pools that become available depending on player performance. So some kind of procedural. Each time the player breaks a brick, a gameplay modifier is added to the list on the left. Once five of them are loaded, they start to take effect every 15 seconds.

To be honest, the game is quite hard, but I am still fond of that little thing. It is available as a  public domain flash file from my github.

Download Pong Break

 

A Fistful Of Seeds

small-fistfulofseed_board_setup_small

A Fistful of Seeds is a board game created during a Berlin Mini Game Jam in collaboration Martin Raue, and with art from Demezou.

Each player is given one of the four fruits or vegetables and is trying to score high with it. Of course, each of the seeds has a different rules for the scoring: carrots need to be in line, apples needs to be separated from other apples, whereas wheat goes in flock and potatoes benefit from pairs.

Aside the fact that at the beginning, players do not know what others are going for, each player has different tiles in hand, not necessarily the ones she needs. The game is then about trying to push others to make a move that might benefit you, without giving them too much.

The complete set of rules and assets can be downloaded on Martin’s github.

The picture you see is the game youc an also create with a bit of patience, some paper and cardboard, and a good pair of scissors.